And so now, finally, my first project of the month is done. When I started using cloth diapers this year, I bought almost all snap closure diapers instead of Velcro. However, I did keep two diapers from my initial trial pack which did have Velcro, and I knew it would wear out more quickly than the snaps. I did not expect it to wear out so very soon though- it's been less than a year, and the Velcro wore out so badly that the diaper couldn't even stay on Rowan. This is a problem because I kept these diapers because they work for over night use, which can be tricky to find in cloth diapering. I had read about replacing the Velcro on diapers periodically, but I wanted to convert it to snaps instead so it will last longer. Then all of our diapers will be snaps!
I found a tutorial online, and I got the necessary supplies-- the snaps and the tools to apply them-- for half off! The project was easy but it took longer than I thought. First I used a seam ripper to carefully remove the existing Velcro without damaging the PUL fabric. Then I used an existing snap diaper to mark where I needed to snaps to be in order for the diaper fit to be easily adjustable. Then I got the two part snap pieces ready and pierced each marked spot with an awl. Then I added the snap pieces and attached them using the snap pliers. Now I just have to put them in the dryer to help close up the holes left by the old velcro stitching. Aaaaand VIOLA! Snap diapers!!